Sunday, November 27, 2011

Are children the new slaves?

Are children the new slaves?

According to the statistics given by International Labor Organization there are about 218 million children between the age of 5 and 17 working all over the world. This includes the use of children for military purpose and child prostitution
After the class where we discussed about sweatshops I remembered Martin Niemöller `s poem and I asked myself when did we stop caring for others (especially children)? If we stop caring for others why should others care for us?
And there are so many things we can do in order to help others. Don´t Know where to start? Then here it goes some ideas. Some are very easy. Just call a charity to volunteer, donate something you don’t use, buy food for a homeless person, stop to help, do a chore, lend your ear and voice . I am ashamed to admit that in the last couple of years I haven´t done enough to help others. But I decided that it has to stop because if I want to live in a fair world I have to do my part. I have a dream that one day things and money won`t be more important than people.

Poem
First they came for the communists ,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

1 comment:

  1. Well, this is something that really makes you wonder...and it did that to me! I got struck by this post, but you're absolutely right. Although we all know the inhumane situations these children are subjected to, we shut our eyes, cover our ears and go on with our lives (most of the time...I'm not here to judge!). Everyone can and should contribute for the sake of children and the underprivileged in general, but we're so blinded by our own problems that we miss the big picture. It's amazing, this is the 21st century and there's still slavery/child slavery out there...and not only in developing countries!
    I haven't done enough to help others either, but I try to do the basics: give away my unused clothing and give some money to beggars, if I see they're in a really bad shape, and if I have money, of course...but this isn't close to be enough! I've considered doing some volunteering over the summer, but it didn't happen. I'll try and see if I can next year, and I'll also try to be more selfless and think about these problems more often, but more importantly, I'll make efforts to really act and do something to make a change.

    ReplyDelete